Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Back to Reality

Today was my first day back from the trip to Terlingua on my motorcycle.  I went down there last week with 3 other women that also ride their own motorcycles.  Most of the trip was spent riding our bikes all over Big Bend, eating like crazy at all the cool restaurants, and drinking with the locals every evening. I met some really neat people from the area. 

The trip was  a blast, and I was even able to go out to my 40 acres with the real estate agent.  He was nice enough to help  me locate the property lines.  I just bought the property last month, and it had been surveyed a few years back.  The property is located about 1 mile off the paved Terlingua Ranch Road, so is fairly easy to get to, and yet still private enough where I won't have vehicles driving by all the time.  The dirt road actually dead ends into the middle of the property, which is perfect, as I won't need to build a road into it. 

Now that I have it, I keep wondering what to do with it.  Should I just buy an RV for now, move it onto the property so that at least I'll have a place to stay when I go down there?  This seems most practical, as I don't relish the idea of staying in a tent without at least a place to take a shower that isn't miles away. I know a lot of people do it, but I will eventually need a place to stay when I am down there building a house.  So with an RV comes the need for a metal roof to cover and protect it, more $$$.  But this can be used later for water harvesting, etc., so it will still improve the property.  A lot to think about.

Back to the road trip. I had meant to meet up with some of the locals who live in the area where I bought my property.  For one reason or another, I just couldn't make it work out.  I did run into John Wells who has the Field Lab...If you want to read about someone who is a very interesting and amazing person, check out
http://www.thefieldlab.org/  He is doing  research on sustainable living in the desert.  The New York times did an article on him a month or so ago, and now he is a rock star....So I ran into him at the Big Bend Motor Inn store, and was invited out to the Field Lab for a tour.  Of course the ladies I was riding with had no clue who he was, or why going out to his property would be so interesting.  So I just didn't push the trip with them.  Next time I go down there, it will be me and the 3 legged dog,  in my truck and we can damn near do what we please.  When I got home, I found out from one of the other locals, David (Terlingua or Bust), that I could have met up with all of them at the Legion one night. That would have been a blast..oh well, next time.

But overall the trip was fun.  It was hard dragging back to reality today...but I guess I will get back into the swing of things as the week goes on.  I really love owning my own business, my employees, etc....but I can't wait for the day when I can at least live part time down in Terlingua...

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to be sad when you're there, even if it's part time! Can I take solace in knowing that if I ever need to "hide out" I've got a place in the middle of nowhere? =)

    Love that part of the country. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete